Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Hope is alive and well

I opened my blog page with ever intention of writing an update about my experience with Destination Boot Camp in Denver.  I was going to tell you all about the amazing workouts we did (7 minutes of burpees….really??… carrying 1 ton of weight up 3 flights of stairs as a team…OH MY!!) or about the kind, wonderful, inspiring people that I met there both in my group and working for Anschutz Health and Wellness center  (that might require an entire blog entry in itself) but I had a hard time putting my thought to paper.  I would start, stop, change the entry and erase it all and start again.  I have learned in my journaling  that, if that happens, I am not being REAL with what I am posting and I need to search my heart for the real message..

And here it is: Hope is alive and well.

What type of hope?? Well, I entered into this plan with Destination Boot Camp hopeful but a bit cynical.  I mean, hey, at 52 years old, Ive tried a lot of plans to try to get me to my goal weight.  I have had 3 surgeries including an emergency procedure to correct issues related to my gastric bypass…so I am not opposed to thinking outside the box to try to accomplish this goal.  I have to say, this is the first time I have felt real hope in getting this goal accomplished.

So here I sit, starting week 2 at home at 12.5 pounds down from my starting weight.  I have been consistent with my eating and my exercise (although the exercise has never really been a problem) and I feel DIFFERENT!! I feel excited about the possibilities and so hopeful that I have finally found a program that works for me and I can follow.  I feel very blessed to have met the people on my team who have been very supportive in the journey so far and I believe will continue to help me attain my goals.

But the part that amazes me the most is me.  My body reacted to the lack of junk food and the eating clean so fast that it was like a lightbulb flipping on.  My workouts are stronger.  My days at work are easier and I sleep through the night.  To the world this is not a big revelation but to me … to be consistent even for just 2 weeks is a very big deal.

I am also very blessed by my friends here at home who have gotten behind me in attaining these goals.  They know that my husband working overseas has been a tough adjustment and have been so kind to include me in so many things. Most of my friends know how important Ironman is to me…and for months…I wouldn't even talk about it because I thought it would never be possible.  I see the possibilities now….and the early planning has begun… (more on that later down the road).

I have just 17.5 pound left to lose before my doctor will release me for long distance training again.  I think that it will take a lot of time to get to that point but Im trying very hard to enjoy the journey…as always, Ill keep you posted.

As one of my favorite endurance athletes, Diana Nyad always says: ONWARD!!!

1 comment:

  1. Got your back, TriGirlOrlando. Team DBC June 2015.
    BeActive, to be Well
    Ron

    ReplyDelete